From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 94 03:48:00 UTC

On Fri, 21 Oct 1994, Rowan Crawford wrote:
 
> Is anyone able to give me a better discription of Solid Drill and
> Drill than the manual? I sat down the other day to try and nut it
> out, but I haven't seen the point of them yet. The Boolean tool seems
> to be much more usable.

Rowan,
 
I'm not sure that there is a "simple" explaination that covers the
complexities of the boolean operators, but the base difference
between drill and solid drill is the object you do the drilling with.
 
For solid drill, the object should be a 3 dimensional object, and it
should intersect with the target (on a background layer), exactly as
you would like it to drill - i.e., core, tunnel, stencil, or slice.
 
As for drill, it requires only a simple 2 dimensional outline of the
shape you would like to use. Moreover, it is preferable to modeler
that the shape not intersect the target object, but instead be placed
away from it, with its shape visible through the target along the
axis you wish to perform the action. Although the default is for the
action (core, tunnel, stencil, slice) to occur completely through the
target, by selecting only the polygons on the target object that you
want the operation to affect, you can control how "deep" the
resultant drill operation executes. This will also speed up the
process.
 
The difference between the drills and the "boolean" selections are
that boolean will leave behind whatever part of the template
intersected with the target, as though the target were solid (like an
apple), and the template taking a bite out of it- leaving a new inner
surface in the shape of the template. The drills will only
punch out the surface area, as though the target were hollow. The new
surfaces created by boolean (subtract) will be given the surface name
currently selected in the options panel.
 
I hope this was of some help.

RDM
 
------------------------------------------------------------------
NewIcons - For that shower-fresh feeling all day long...
------------------------------------------------------------------